Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Greatest Fear

Having spoken with two birthmothers now, I have heard the same fear from both of them: What if my son thinks that I gave him up because I didn't love him? I tear up each time I hear or think of this. To me, there is no greater love than to give your son up, knowing that it is for his good, not because you do not love him, but because you love him too much. These birthmothers are making the unselfish, sacrificial choice. In an age when getting an abortion is cheap and easy and can be done without anyone knowing, they chose to carry a child to full-term.

Malachi's birthmom was 15. Can you imagine what it was like for her to be 9 months pregnant in high school and then to give the baby up? Or our new son's birthmom -- 27 years old and surrounded by people mocking her and questioning her for giving her child away? The scorn they face from others, as well as the pain they feel in giving their children up for adoption, cannot be comprehended by the rest of us. These women, and all women who choose adoption for their children, deserve our greatest respect, our support, and our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment